How To Prepare For Your Engagement Session | Northern Virginia and DC Wedding Photographer
But besides just being fun they are also very useful.
Some of the reasons are:
- The perfect time to get to know your photographer and get comfortable in front of his/her lens.
- Have some professional images of you and your fiance taken.
- Use some of the images during your wedding or even as a save the date.
- Get a breather from all the wedding preparation activities.
When preparing for you engagement session think about:
- What you two love to do? It could be ridding bikes, laying on a blanket under a tree, having a picnic, taking walks together, eating ice-cream, reading books, yoga, dancing, spending time at home, etc.
- Where would you do these activities? It could be in the city, far away from the city, by the water, by the mountains, at your home, in your neighborhood, at your favorite cafe, in your favorite park, etc.
- Think about props that mean something to you or you would like to incorporate in your session.
Now, that we have these figured out lets make sure:
- You are on time. Please be on time! My engagement sessions are up to 2 hours and if you are 30 minutes late, the session will not be extended. I shoot mostly natural light and the sun won’t wait for us :). Make sure you allow enough time for traffic or fashion emergencies. On top of that you want to be relaxed and have fun, right, so be on time:)?
- Bring your favorite props and look through some engagement images together. This will put you both, but especially him, at ease and you will feel more prepared.
- Wear your favorite cloths. I usually ask for 2 to 3 outfits and depending on the location/s and personalities you pick, the outfits can range from casual to elegant. However, keep in mind that I want you to be yourselves on your engagement session. I want you to be comfortable with what you are wearing. If you are wearing something that does not represents you, most-likely you will feel uncomfortable and that will show.
- Girls, if possible treat yourselves and get professional hair and make up done. This could be a great time to have your hair and makeup trials for your wedding day If you need recommendations let me know and I would be happy to refer you some of the amazing HUMA I worked with. But, if that’s not possible, try spending a little extra time getting ready. I want you to feel pretty and confident. Again, this will show in the end result.
- Don’t be afraid to loosen up and be yourselves. Have fun and laugh and just show the love. Your photographer will love it and you will tank me later for this tip.
- If your photographer asks you to sit on the ground, stand in an ally or even jump in or over a puddle, don’t think twice about it, it could be something that you did not expect to do, but so will the results be:).
- Now, you both are dressed up, looking amazing, feeling giggly, happy and in-love why not go out? Make dinner reservations, go to the movies or go out for a drink and have some more fun!